I’ve known about the benefits of infrared sauna therapy for awhile but it’s only until recently that I actually experienced it myself. My recent trip to Paleo f(x) turned out to offer incredible insight into the world of infrared saunas. Who knew I would walk away with so much knowledge, and a sauna of my own!?!
There were a couple of sauna vendors there, but one stood out to me and my husband. One thing I learned is that not all infrared saunas are the same. Most of them use far-infrared technology or a combination of far, medium, and near. While you’re getting some benefit with these saunas, you’re not getting the maximum benefit because far and medium infrared light doesn’t penetrate deep into the body.
Near-infrared saunas are designed to stimulate cellular regeneration and anti-aging. The alliance of heat and light penetrate to the mitochondrial level to provide maximum detoxification in order to achieve the results you need.
I always thought the primary purpose of infrared sauna therapy was for detox. While that’s a main component, there are so many other health benefits you can experience.
Here are 12 benefits you can expect with a near-infrared sauna using incandescent light.
BOOST CELLULAR REGENERATION
- Light and Heat promote repair and re-growth of cells and tissues.
ANTI-AGING REPAIR OF GENE EXPRESSION
- Near infrared light mitochondrial activation helps repair and re-optimize your epigenetics and gene expression.
ATHLETIC & COGNITIVE PERFORMANCE ENHANCEMENT
- Frequent heat stress tempers the body and has been shown to improves endurance, cognitive functioning & strength.
DEEP CELLULAR DETOXIFICATION
- Full-body heat therapy brings the detoxifying effects of heat to the deepest cells of the internal organs.
MUSCLE & JOINT PAIN RELIEF
- Near infrared light has been shown to promote inflammatory mediators that reduce inflammation.
- Near infrared light has been shown to help heal a variety of skin problems.
- Certain near infrared wavelengths stimulate natural collagen production which can reduce visible cellulite
STRESS ELIMINATION IN MIND & BODY
- Passive Light and Heat therapy relax the nervous and other biological systems for real stress reduction.
WOUND & MUSCLE HEALING
- Near infrared light has been shown to accelerate wound healing and tissue repair
SUPPORT METABOLIC PROCESSES
- Near infrared light stimulus boosts cell metabolism, making more energy available for cellular systems.
- Disciplined hyperthermic therapy has been shown to decrease risk of cardiovascular disease and increase longevity.
- Light and Heat work together to relax our nervous system into the ‘rest & digest’ (parasympathetic) state which is ideal for efficient, restful sleeping.
In terms of light and heat therapy, you may have heard of a few different options. LED light therapy is becoming quite popular in pain management, and does provide some benefit. However, artificial LED emission is not full-spectrum and provides no heat therapy. Far-infrared therapy, such as what you find in most infrared saunas, only provides heat therapy and no light therapy. The technology is also high EMF, which you want to avoid. Natural thermal light, which you find in near-infrared, incandescent saunas, combines light and heat in a natural form.
Now we have an infrared sauna in our home, and we are loving it! There is only one company that I’m aware of who makes a 100% near-infrared sauna, and that is Sauna Space. Their Pocket Sauna is fantastic. We love the design and the fact that it’s easy to set up and it’s portable. My husband and I have been using our sauna daily, usually first thing in the morning and right before bed. It’s only been a couple of weeks, but our sleep is better and we feel more relaxed overall..
We love taking 10-20 minutes to sit in our sauna and simply relax. We practice deep breathing, meditation, and prayer. This is truly a therapy everyone can benefit from due to the vast benefits for mind, body, and soul.
If you’d like to learn more about the pocket sauna from Sauna Space, be sure to check them out here.
They also offer the best risk-free purchase guarantee I’ve ever seen! You can try it out for 100 days and send it back if you don’t like it. They also have a lifetime warranty. Pretty amazing.
I’d love to hear from you. Have you used an infrared sauna before? What benefits did you experience?