Keeping up with fitness and healthy eating can be a challenge. Striving to remove food sensitivities, limit carbs, and boredom with limited options can cause people to get tired of the same old foods and lead them back to unhealthy habits.
To avoid food fatigue, it’s important to incorporate variety and change in our diets to make sure we don’t become stagnant. Our bodies may prefer healthy eating, but they also crave variety and flavor. Replacing ingredients with healthier options is an easy, simple way to do this.
Let’s start with breakfast. The kind of breakfast you consume will have a significant impact on your activities throughout the day. To function at your best, your breakfast should be healthy and rich in protein and healthy fats.
Healthy breakfast choices do a lot to keep your cravings for carbs and extra calories at bay.
Here are some easy and delicious healthy breakfast choices:
- Eggs and vegetables cooked in coconut oil is a great breakfast and it will keep you full for a long time. Fry the eggs to your desired consistency, toss the vegetables in to sauté for just a minute, add some seasoning, and enjoy.
- Skillet-baked eggs with spinach and unsweetened yogurt is a great, easy-to-make breakfast that is full of nutrients to kick-start your day. Pre-heat the oven to 300°F. Combine yogurt, garlic and a pinch of salt in a bowl and set aside. Melt a little coconut oil in a skillet over low heat. Add spinach, leek, scallion, lemon juice, and salt and sauté occasionally stirring. Remove skillet from the heat and crack several eggs into the veggie mixture, keeping yolks intact as much as possible. Bake for 10-15 minutes and top with yogurt mixture before serving.
- Who doesn’t love a creamy shake? But who really loves all those carbs and calories? This avocado green tea shake is your perfect solution. It is rich and creamy and very easy to make. Whisk together 1 teaspoon of matcha powder and 1 tablespoon of hot water and set to the side. In a blender, combine half of an avocado, a ½ cup of unsweetened full fat coconut milk, 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk or water, and protein powder. Blend together, add the tea mixture and serve! TIP: Use a healthy plant-based, bone broth protein or collagen protein powder with no sugar added.
- If you don’t like eggs or get tired of having them everyday for breakfast, these low-carb pancakes will be your new go-to favorite breakfast. All you need is 2 oz cream cheese, 2 eggs, 1 tsp Lakanto monkfruit sweetener and ½ tsp cinnamon, blend this all together, let the mixture rest for the air bubbles to escape, cook the mixture in a pan on medium heat for 2 minutes each side and you are done. Tasty and healthy pancakes every time.
- Chia pudding is another easy to make breakfast. In a bowl or mason jar, combine ¼ cup chia seeds, 1 cup non-dairy milk (I like coconut milk), and ½ tablespoon of honey. Mix well and refrigerate overnight, until the seeds have become jelly-like in texture and the pudding has thickened. Top with your choice of fruit.
I’d love to hear from you! What is your favorite go-to healthy breakfast?