Jumping into the world of essential oils can be overwhelming when there are so many individual oils and blends to choose from. How do you know what you need? The following are the top 10 must-have essential oils from doTERRA, mostly for their wide variety of uses and their appealing scents. I’ve broken them up into two different categories and included a couple of honorable mentions:
Lavender, Peppermint, and Lemon are the go-to starter essential oils. They’re perfect to start using for common, every-day purposes.
- Lavender. Diffuse a few drops to ease into sleep, add a drop to your moisturizer for a soothing boost, or add to water and tea to ease tense feelings.
- Peppermint. Energize your day by adding it to a diffuser, soothe occasional nausea by taking two drops in water*, and rub into areas of tension on your neck, shoulders, and head.
- Lemon. Drink with water to cleanse your body, give your respiratory system support, and help with digestion. In addition, add to water in a spray bottle to clean household surfaces.
From the changing seasons and our immune systems, to the health of our skin, and a properly functioning digestive system, who doesn’t need help maintaining a healthy life? Each of the remaining seven oils on this list are must-have essential oils that will help you do exactly that.
- doTERRA On Guard. Support and strengthen your immune and respiratory systems from seasonal or environmental threats, diffuse to purify the air, and to give off an uplifting aroma.
- Frankincense. Support healthy cellular and immune function with two drops in a veggie capsule. Apply to skin to help with razor bumps, blemishes, wrinkles, and other skin imperfections. Diffuse to add peace, relaxation, and satisfaction to your day.
- doTERRA Breathe. Maintain feelings of clear breathing and open airways by applying to your chest or diffusing into the air, rub into your feet or put into your palms and cup them around your nose to alleviate the effects of seasonal threats.
- Melaleuca (Tea Tree). Cleansing and purifying oil with antifungal properties. Add to face wash for skin cleansing benefits, use it in your diffuser to cleanse and freshen the air, and apply to fingernails and toes to keep them looking healthy.
- DigestZen. Your go-to blend for digestive support. Take internally for indigestion and bloating and to ease feelings of queasiness, or rub on your stomach before a long flight for its calming aroma.
- Deep Blue. Soothing blend to ease muscle and joint discomfort. Apply to areas of soreness for immediate, soothing relief. Use before and after workouts to soothe sore muscles. Apply to neck and shoulders to relieve physical tension and tightness.
- Oregano. The powerhouse for immune support. Oregano, with its antimicrobial properties is the go-to oil for fighting off seasonal and environmental ailments and gastrointestinal pathogens.
- Wild Orange. Diffuse in the room to uplift your mood when you’re having a bad day and purify the air, support your immune system and add flavor by adding two drops to your beverages.*
- Adaptive. Calm your emotions and relieve stress and anxiousness by diffusing Adaptiv in your home or office. Apply topically to wrists, temples, or chest for immediate calming.
- doTERRA Serenity. Sleep peacefully, calm your mind, and soothe your senses by diffusing in your bedroom or applying to your temples, bottom of feet, or wrists.
From reading this list, you can see what a wide variety of uses essential oils have, from the daily routines to the more occasional health concerns. As you use essential oils, you’ll probably find that these oils are what you’ll reach for again and again. (And we have barely scratched the surface of everything these oils, and the many other doTERRA oils, can do!)
For the beginner, I recommend starting with the top 10 must-have essential oils. These 10 oils will address about 80% of your family’s needs and provide a total makeover of your medicine cabinet.
Keep in mind that every person is different. As you keep learning more about essential oils, you will also find that different essential oils can be just as or even more helpful to you personally.
The Healthy Start Kit comes with the top 10 oils listed above plus a 10 hour diffuser! It’s a perfect option.
To continue your research, I encourage you to click the links to each individual oil to find out more about the benefits of these must-have oils.